What does "Internationalisation@home" mean?
"...any internationally related activity with the exception of outbound student and staff mobility" (Wächter, 2000)
Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences has made it its mission to promote internationalisation not only by means of international mobility, but also through appropriate measures on site. These can be summarised with the term "Internationalisation@home" - i.e. access to important intercultural experiences and international discourses directly at h_da ("at home"). Especially for students who, for various reasons, cannot go abroad themselves, we offer to experience interculturality also at the university to gain the skills needed in professional life. In the area of administration and teaching, our aim is to prevent communicative conflicts and misunderstandings by intercultural sensitisation through (inbound and outbound) staff mobility. In addition, the international perspective will be integrated even more strongly into new degree programmes.
In general, our targeted measures are intended to bring the positive aspects of internationalisation closer to all students and staff of h_da, thus creating a culture of welcome at the university.
- Buddy Programme: Social integration & support of incoming international students by h_da students
- Student podcast with international exchange students
- International Campus: approx. 18 percent international students at h_da
- Financial support programmes of h_da for English-speaking guest lecturers
- English degree programmes
- Promotion of international staff mobility
- Language Centre teaches the foreign languages Spanish, English, French, Portuguese
- Certificate International Studies (ZIS) for all students (German)
- Erasmus International Staff Weeks
- Coordination for translations of the English website as well as important documents and materials