h_da’s Buddy Program
As of winter semester 2019/20, h_da will be offering a Buddy Program.
The goal of the program is to bring together students from Darmstadt on the one hand, and newly enrolled international students who are about to start their studies in Darmstadt and Dieburg, on the other. For this, each international student ("incoming buddies") will be assigned a student from Darmstadt ("welcome buddy") for one semester.
In addition to the support offered to incoming buddies in study-related matters by their respective welcome buddies, the program facilitates forming new friendships, gain intercultural experiences and improve language skills for both buddies.
Taking part in the Buddy Program is free of charge.
as an incoming buddy:
- International students who are enrolled as exchange students at h_da
- international students who will complete an entire study program at h_da
as a welcome buddy:
- h_da students who are at least in their 3rd semester and who are interested in assisting international students in study-related matters such as finding their way around campus, their department and in Darmstadt
- Newly enrolled exchange students and international students who would like to complete a full study program at h_da sign up as incoming buddies.
- Students from Darmstadt from the 3rd semester on sign up as welcome buddies.
- A matching between incoming and welcome buddies takes place.
- The commitment to be a buddy is for one semester.
Welcome buddies help incoming buddies in study-related matters. These include, for example:
- Correspondence with their incoming buddy by email; a first contact could, if possible, be established before the incoming buddy’s arrival to Darmstadt or Dieburg, in order to clarify questions the incoming buddy may have about h_da and/or Darmstadt or Dieburg in general
- Accompanying their incoming buddy to certain authorities (e.g. registration and/or deregistration at City Hall)
- Translating important documents (e.g. rental contract, move-in protocol, health insurance documents, mobile phone contract, etc.) and helping their incoming buddy understand
- Helping their incoming buddy find their way around campus and Darmstadt
- Answering study-department-specific questions, e.g. how to sign up for classes and/or exams
These tasks should not be carried out by welcome buddies:
- Offering general counseling service about the incoming buddy’s study program
- Answering legal questions
- Taking care of non-study-related administrative tasks or personal matters
- 24/7 support (availabilities should be agreed on beforehand by both buddies)
Welcome buddys support incoming buddys on a voluntary basis and receive no money for their commitment.