Health Insurance

In order to enroll at h_da, you are required to have a valid and sufficient health insurance plan.

  • Students from the EU or the EEA/, respectively, are required to hand in a copy of their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The card has to be valid for the entire period of stay at h_da. If the expiration date is earlier, please ask your health insurance company for a new card. Some EU / EEA countries do not have a EHIC but issue medical forms called E111 or E128; these too are accepted in order to enroll at h_da.
  • Overseas students have to pay attention to the following important details before taking out a health insurance plan: Many, particularly private (and rather cheap) health insurance plans are not accepted at German universities. This is also true for some health insurance companies recommended to you by your home university. Please consult with us about whether your health insurance plan is, in fact, sufficient before buying it. h_da recommends taking out a national/public health insurance plan. Ms Catharina Memminger of TK Health Insurance is happy to give you more information on the matter, but you’re, of course, free to consult with other public health insurance companies in Germany.

You can find more information on the German health insurance system here:; this fact sheet sums up all important details.