Health insurance

Health insurance is mandatory in Germany for all visiting academics and their accompanying family members. Before you leave, you should check whether your insurance at home would also be valid in Germany.  EU citizens usually have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which covers essential medical treatments, if you stay here temporarily.

If your insurance does not provide adequate coverage, you will need to take out an additional insurance policy. We recommend contacting insurance providers before entering Germany, so you can deal with potential problems in advance and be insured from the very start of your stay. Some insurance providers also require you to apply while still in your home country.

See the dropdown box below for a brief overview of the different types of insurance. For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Welcome Center.

Helpful FAQs on health insurance in Germany can be found on the sites of EURAXESS. General information on the German social security system provides the website Reseach in Germany.