The search for a suitable internship is the biggest obstacle to a practical stay abroad. There are numerous offers, some of which require a fee. Below we have gathered some helpful links and information.
- The DAAD offers a detailed collection of information and links on internship opportunities under the category internships abroad. In the brochure you will find all the important information.
- In 2020, the DAAD has published an informative brochure „Going abroad with a Scholarship. Here you can also find programmes for work placements.
- The Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung (ZAV) of the Federal Employment Agency provides information on internship and work opportunities abroad.
- Eurodesk offers a useful collection of information and links.
- Read through the h_da section Experience Reports and through the experience reports of former students provided by the DAAD.
- You can also ask the lecturers about possible contacts abroad. In addition, it might also be a good idea to ask your friends and acquaintances.
- Academic/specialist counselling: the International Coordinator or the BPS/BPP representative of your department will help you with professional/academic questions such as
- Is an internship abroad beneficial to my studies?
- Do I study abroad or should I complete an internship abroad?
- Is the internship abroad recognized as BPS/BPP? What are the requirements?
Here we present programs that include both the placement of an internship and financial support.
- The DAAD offers six-month internships in Russia with the program Russia in Practice and in cooperation with the Moscow Chamber of Foreign Trade. There are two application periods per year. The application for the summer semester 2021 (01.04.-30.09.2021) is possible between 06.10. - 18.11.2020. The internships will be held in German and you will simultaneously learn Russian.
ASA participation includes two to three seminars lasting several days, a three- or six-month project phase in cooperation with partner institutions from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Southeast Europe and impulses for reflection and long-term commitment. Participation is open to 21 to 30 or 35 year-old students, students whose Bachelor's degree was completed no more than 18 months ago. Seminars and projects are currently held online and in person. Application is possible until mid-January
- RISE worldwide offers research internships during the summer months for Bachelor students enrolled in engineering and natural sciences. The call for applications is made annually on December 1st.
In the New Kibbutz Programme, the DAAD supports internships in high-tech start-up companies in Israel that have been arranged through the German-Israeli Chamber of Industry and Commerce (AHK). The funding lasts from 56 days to a maximum of six months.
The application deadline for the internships is four months before the start of the internship. Applications for 2022 can be submitted from the end of July.
The application for DAAD funding must be submitted on the DAAD portal no later than 32 days before the start of the internship.
Mitacs Globalink Research Internship: 12-week-traineeships in Canada between May-October. Application period is in August/September.
- IAESTE, an international, apolitical, independent organisation, promotes the worldwide exchange of interns and arranges subject-related internships for students of engineering and natural sciences. More than 80 countries worldwide are part of IAESTE. In all these countries internships of 3 to 12 months are possible at partner companies. The placement of internships is completely free of charge. Furthermore, it is guaranteed that the internship is remunerated. The Local Committee Darmstadt is responsible for all universities in Darmstadt. You can find open positions here. If you do an internship via IASTE, you can apply for a travel allowance from the DAAD.
- AIESEC has a worldwide network of interns and additionally offers voluntary work abroad during semester breaks. The local committee in Darmstadt is responsible for all universities in Darmstadt. If you do an internship through AIESEC, you can apply for a travel allowance from the DAAD.
- The Coordination Office for Internships (KOPRA) is a platform for the exchange of interns between Germany and East Asia. The site offers an internship search, forum and information about internships in East Asia.
- The USA Interns Program of the Steuben-Schurz Society arranges internships in the USA for a small fee.
For our (online) consultation hours, see here.
Apply for your stay abroad via our MoveON-Portal.
Information on financing options can be found here.
If you are planning to sublet your room or apartment for the duration of your absence and/or are already looking for a room in your destination country from afar, it is worth taking a look at our Facebook group h_da housing exchange.